Company: Greater Essex County District School Board
Location: Windsor, ON
Education/Credentials: University degree or post secondary education in Communications, Journalism, or Media and Design.
Cover Letter: Required
Application deadline: 01/24/2024
Communications Officer – Temporary 14 Month Assignment
We are looking for a capable and committed individual to develop, coordinate and engage in website, social media (and other) communication with students, staff, parents/guardians and our community. This person in the role will continue to work towards increasing the GECDSB’s website and social
media presence and reach, to better communicate with students, staff, families and the wider community.
Nature & Scope of Position:
This temporary, non-bargaining position will report to the Director and will be expected to:
- Consistently, flexibly and responsively coordinate GECDSB system and school messages across a wide variety of existing, and new and innovative media and social media platforms to enhance GECDSB communication;
- Develop, coordinate and expand the reach of website and social media communication with students, GECDSB staff, parents/guardians and our community;
- Maximize the unique differences/strengths/audiences of each media and social media platform – use of video, graphic design, message length, message audience and focus;
- Create, produce and disseminate video messaging designed specifically for a variety of platforms as a key GECDSB communication strategy;
- Support highly effective, consistent and coordinated school-based website and social media communication as in integrated element of the GECDSB image, messaging and communication;
- Provide assistance and support (professional development) to schools (administrators and staff) to develop effective website and social media skills and capabilities to share information, highlight good news stories, and enhance school-based communication;
- Respond to social media inquiries (conversations) with appropriate and accurate GECDSB messaging, and assist in communicating accurate information and responding to inaccurate communication in the social media realm;
- Revise current and create new documents that comply with AODA requirements;
- Work closely with staff, students, community representatives and the media to develop and distribute positive news stories about the board on all GECDSB digital platforms;
- Respond to media inquiries in partnership with the Director of Education, Senior Administration and the Public Relations Officer,
- Demonstrate a commitment to and documented success in working to create a fair, inclusive, antiracist environment for all stakeholders, and to supporting diverse constituencies and populations.
- University degree or post secondary education in Communications, Journalism, or Media and Design.
- Skills in website design, graphic design and video editing
- The ability to work independently as well as part of a multi disciplinary team.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- The ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment while maintaining attention to detail and adherence to deadlines.
- The ability to work flexible hours to accommodate the varied demands of the role.
Salary and benefits will be paid/provided in accordance with Board Policy.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply in writing, giving full particulars as to education, qualifications and experience by visiting www.applytoeducation.com no later than 4:00PM on Wednesday January 24, 2024. Please note there is no fee to apply to this position. You must apply under the actual job posting number 3660301 (under Management and Professionals). In support of the Board’s Indigenous
Protocol, applicants of First Nations, Métis and Inuit descent may apply to email@example.com. No other form of submission will be accepted from external candidates.
Chris Boulay, Superintendent of Human Resources
Greater Essex County District School Board
451 Park Street West, Box 210
Windsor, ON N9A 6K1
Posting Number: 2024-05
The Greater Essex County District School Board actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to:
- First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples;
- members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion and/or spiritual beliefs, or place of origin;
- persons with visible and/or invisible (physical and/or mental) disabilities;
- persons who identify as women; and
- persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
We recognize that many of these identities intersect and therefore, equity, diversity and inclusion can be complex. We value and respect the contributions that each person brings to enriching the Board and are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all in communities that we serve.
We will make the necessary accommodations for applicants to support all aspects of the recruitment process. Please contact the Human Resources Department if you require assistance with any accommodations.