Labour Programs and Services Coordinator (Full Time Permanent)
Company: United Way Elgin Middlesex
Location: London, ON
Education/Credentials: Labour education or post-secondary credentials, or equivalent
Cover Letter: Required
Application deadline: March 4, 2022
The Labour Programs and Service Coordinator works to strengthen United Way’s partnership with, and provide support to, the organized labour community.
Compensation Structure: Based on the salary band for this role, external candidates can expect to be offered a starting wage in the range of $25 – $29 per hour. When determining the wage, we consider the market, candidate experience, as well as internal equity.
This role is eligible for Extended Health Benefits (dental, vision, paramedical); Employee Assistance Program, Registered Retired Saving Plan (with employer match); Generous Annual Leave and Paid Personal Days.
To learn more about working at United Way, check out our website https://unitedwayem.ca/about-us/careers/
- Building understanding, cooperation, and participation between Organized Labour and UWEM within and for the betterment of the community
- Ensuring that shared interests with Organized Labour are represented in the development of UWEM departmental goals, and plans
- Planning and implementing fundraising activities within unionized workplaces
- Planning and coordinating events between UWEM and the Organized Labour community
- Developing and conducting education and training programs for employees and union members in workplaces pertaining to community wellbeing and social services, including but not limited to the Labour Community Advocate Program
- Maintaining the understanding between Organized Labour and United Way
- Working with United Way staff to ensure labour participation and Organized Labour’s point of view is represented in the development of department goals and participate in activities that relate to United Way’s success
- Developing and conducting education / training programs for people in workplaces pertaining to community, wellbeing and social services
- Performing other duties as needed to ensure the safe and effective operations of the organization
Our Ideal Candidate Will Possess
- Labour education or post-secondary credentials, or equivalent combination of education and unionized work experience
- Current or previous experience as an active member in a union with a strong understanding of Organized Labour and United Way
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to relate to diverse groups of labour organizations, members, and management
- Intermediate computer skills on MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook); experience using virtual meeting platforms (Zoom, Teams, etc.)
- Experience instructing and facilitating group discussions and educational opportunities
- Good understanding of local social issues and initiatives
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience advocating and working with equity seeking populations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to flex work schedule to attend meetings and special events which occur before or after regular office hours
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a motor vehicle, which shall be used in the course of duties
Qualified candidates are encouraged to email their cover letter and resume by Friday, March 4, 2022, 4:30 p.m., to Lisa Simmons, Executive Assistant and Human Resources Officer:
United Way Elgin Middlesex
409 King St, London, ON N6B 1S5
United Way Elgin Middlesex is committed to diversity and encourages applications from people who are Indigenous, racialized, 2SLGBTQ+, women, persons with disabilities, and other overlooked and underestimated groups.
United Way Elgin Middlesex requires new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at all times during employment, unless legitimately unable to do so due to their own disability or religious reasons (“Exempt Worker”). The successful applicant will be offered employment conditional upon providing satisfactory proof to United Way Elgin Middlesex that they are fully vaccinated before the Start Date or, alternatively, that they are an Exempt Worker.
As an equal opportunity employer, United Way Elgin Middlesex is committed to accessibility and to protecting the human rights of its employees. In support of this aim, United Way Elgin Middlesex has an accommodation process in place to provide accommodations to employees with disabilities or when otherwise required under human rights laws.
If selected, interviews will be flexible and make the most use of virtual options available.