Registered Practical Nurse (RPN)
Company: Southwest Ontario Aboriginal Health Access Centre
Location: Cambridge, ON
Required Experience: 2-3 years clinical experience; preferably in a multi-disciplinary team setting
Job Type: Full-time, Contract
Education/Credentials: Current registration as a Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO)
Cover Letter: Required
Application deadline: 12/11/2023
FT Contract Registered Practical Nurse (RPN)
Status: Full-time, contract
Location: Cambridge, ON
Hours: 35 hours/week (5 days)
Paid Time Off: 3+ weeks of vacation, sick days, spiritual/cultural leave, birthday
Pension: HOOPP (defined benefit plan) – optional
Posting Date: November 27, 2023
Deadline: December 11, 2023
Southwest Ontario Aboriginal Health Access Centre (SOAHAC) is a diverse, dynamic, multiservice Indigenous health and wellness agency. We strive to provide quality, wholistic health services by sharing and promoting traditional and western health practices to enable people to live in a more balanced state of well-being. SOAHAC provides services to Indigenous people including those who live on and off reserve, status, non-status, Inuit, and Metis within the Southwest, Waterloo Wellington and Erie St Clair regions. SOAHAC has a mandate of ensuring that health services are accessible, of high quality, and are culturally appropriate. It is SOAHAC’s objective to build health care capacity within Indigenous communities. Currently, we are seeking the services of a Registered Practical Nurse to join our interdisciplinary staff team to work at our Cambridge site, currently located at 745 Coronation Blvd, Unit 102.
Reporting to the Integrated Care Manager, the Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) supports the primary care providers in the provision of comprehensive primary care and preventative services to urban Indigenous clients across the lifespan. The RPN will support the primary care providers by conducting assessments and physical examinations, administering immunizations and other injections, performing venipuncture, wound care, and any other nursing related duties that may be requested within the RPN scope of practice.
• Current registration as a Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO)
• Graduate from a recognized RPN program
• 2-3 years clinical experience; preferably in a multi-disciplinary team setting
• 2-3 years previous experience working as an RPN in any/ all areas of primary care, chronic disease management, preventative care, mental health and addictions
• Knowledge of culture and local Indigenous communities in the area is a strong asset
• Excellent communication, customer service and collaboration skills
• Excellent problem solving, decision making and interpersonal skills
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to work effectively and independently
• Strong attention to detail and assessment skills
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others and across teams
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate clearly
• Computer literacy including skills in word processing, e-mail, PowerPoint, Excel, and Electronic Medical Records
• Experience in providing professional foot care an asset
• Travel within Waterloo-Wellington region, as well as SOAHAC sites as required
• Willingness to participate in Indigenous Cultural Safety Training, teachings and ceremonies
• Clean and current police check as a condition of employment
• Valid government issued driver’s license and access to reliable transportation
• Up to date immunizations and records
• Assists with direct client care procedures and related tasks such as: checks in clients, obtains history, vital signs, updates and prepares charts, screens for preventative care, and assists with medical examination/minor procedures
• Conducts intake appointments with new SOAHAC clients ensuring that a wholistic process is followed
• Advocates on behalf of the client with regards to equitable access to traditional healing and western health services as directed by client
• Performs specialized procedures, such as obtaining and processing lab specimens
• Maintains database/registry of client’s eligible/due for cancer screening, diabetes care, and immunizations by use of EMR reports. Must be familiar with the Canadian Diabetes Association guidelines, Cancer Care Ontario screening guidelines, and the publicly funded immunization schedule for Ontario.
• Accepts telephone calls from clients at nursing station/office, triages concerns and takes appropriate action, i.e. provides telephone support, books client in with provider, or expedites call to provider
• Contacts clients via telephone to discuss results as needed and make arrangement for appropriate follow up, at the direction of the Physician/Nurse Practitioner
• Reviews, maintains, and orders immunizations and medical supplies on a weekly basis or as needed.
• Commitment to continuous professional development and continuing education
• Self-directed and able to work with minimal supervision
• Recent satisfactory attendance and performance record
• Advocates and supports a culture of client safety and demonstrates an understanding of how the department service and assigned responsibilities contribute to overall client safety at SOAHAC.
• Routinely participates in staff meetings
This job may require additional responsibilities and duties as assigned by Southwest Ontario Aboriginal Health Access Centre.
SOAHAC values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer; however, hiring preference will be given to qualified Indigenous applicants. SOAHAC is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, please advise Human Resources.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please forward your cover letter and resume to:
Subject line: FT Contract RPN – Cambridge
Or mail to: Human Resources
Southwest Ontario Aboriginal Health Access Centre
425 – 427 William Street,
London, ON N6B 3E1
Please visit Southwest Ontario Aboriginal Health Access Centre online at: www.soahac.on.ca or like us on www.facebook.com/soahac to learn more about us!
We thank all those for applying but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.