Early Childhood Educator
Company: Eelunaapeewi Lahkeewiit (Delaware Nation)
Location: Thamesville, ON
Required Experience: Experience working with Aboriginal children and their parents
Job Type: Full Time
Education/Credentials: Registered member of the College of Early Childhood Educators and in good standing
Cover Letter: Required
Application deadline: December 16, 2023
Early Childhood Educator
POSITION REPORTS TO:
The Early Childhood Educator shall be under the supervision of the Eelunaapeewi Lahkeewiit Early Learning Centre Director.
Summary of Position:
The Early Childhood Educator will ensure the development and provision of a high quality, wholistic, culturally relevant and individual educational program. The Early childhood Educator will support and assist in all program service areas of the Eelunaapeewi Lahkeewiit Early Learning Centre
- Plans, implements and coordinates classroom activities
- Responsible for classroom management and instruction
- To provide for the safety and well being of the children during both on and offsite activities promoting the six components of Head Start
- lnvolves all staff in classroom operations by planning activities for individual children and groups according to the child’s developmental level
- creating and planning activities for individual children and groups according to the child’s developmental level in accordance with “How Does learning Happen?”
- Maintain regulated and required documentation, reporting and record keeping
- Conduct monthly fire drills
- To organize space, equipment and materials to allow child experiences
- Complete daily playground inspections
- Any other relevant duties as assigned by the Eelunaapeewi Lahkeewiit Early Learning Centre Director
- Develop and monitor an annualwork plan and calendar
- Maintain active, accurate and confidential filing system
- To ensure daily recording of names, ages and parent/caregivers name, and making note of any special needs; e.g. developmental assessments, allergies, dietary concerns or other relevant matters.
- Designs learning activities utilizing the High Scope curriculum and assessment tool as well as other available resources.
- Attend meetings and training as requested by the Early Learning Centre Director
- Reports and documents parent concerns or critical incidents concerning the Early Learning Centre to the Early Learning Centre Director’
- ls aware of and adheres to the current policies and procedures of the Early Learning Centre Program, as well as be familiar with the Child Care and Early Years Act.
- submit regular reports and maintain licensing requirements to the Director and complete any other reporting as required by funding and licensing sources.
- Early Childhood Education Diploma from an accredited post-secondary institution
- Registered member of the College of Early Childhood Educators and in good standing
- Experience working with Aboriginal children and their parents
- Knowledge of the Lunaapeew Language and Culture would be an asset
- High Scope or Resource Teacher would be an asset.
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent planning skills, excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be computer literate
- Knowledge of the Aboriginal Head Start Initiative and its components
- Knowledge of “How Does Learning Happen?” Ontario’s Pedagogy for the Early Years is preferable
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team approach and maintain confidentiality
- Must be willing to take training as needed
- Must possess Ontario driver’s license
- Must provide copy of recent criminal reference check with vulnerable sector search
- Medical Certificate and First Aid/CPR due upon employment
- Up to date immunization and records including COVID-19
TERMS OF POSITION:
Employment Term: Full-time, 35 hours per week, One year Contract.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and/or experience
Hours of Work: Daily from B:30 am to 4:30 pm (flexible hours required)
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS
Interested candidates, please submit a Cover Letter, Resume, and 3 references (2 work related & l personal) to:
Cathy Stonefish: Interim Director of Operations
Eel[naap6ewi Lahk6ewiit Administration O ffice
L4760 School House Line,
Thamesville, Ontario N0P 2K0
Marked: CONFIDENTIAL – Early Childhood Educator – Early Learning
POSTED UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED
Pursuant to Section 16(1) of the Canadian Human Rights Act, Eelfinaapdewi Lahkdewiit gives preference to First Nation applications.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Please note the selected candidate will be required to submit a current CPlC/Vulnerable Sector Search and consent to a background reference check.