Water and Wastewater Process Technician
Company: Ontario First Nations Technical Services Corporation (OFNTSC)
Required Experience: Must have at least five years of progressive proven full-time maintenance experience
Education/Credentials: Mandatory Class II certification in Water Treatment and/or Class II in Wastewater Treatment
Cover Letter: Required
Application deadline: March 18, 2024
Water and Wastewater Process Technician
The Ontario First Nations Technical Services Corporation (OFNTSC) is a nonprofit organization that provides technical advisory services, training, and capacity development to First Nations communities in Ontario. By offering a wide range of specialized services and expertise, OFNTSC helps to enhance the quality of life, promote self-sufficiency, and foster economic growth within these communities.
The OFNTSC requires the services of a HUB Water & Wastewater Process Technician to assist the OFNTSC HUB Supervisor. This position will require up to 90% travel weekly.
These tasks must be executed in alignment with the culture and values of OFNTSC while maintaining strict confidentiality.
- Providing onsite Operator support to ensure Provincial regulative compliance of process control programs and maintain health and safety requirements for water and wastewater treatment processes in Ontario’s Unaffiliated First Nations.
- Implement Operations and Maintenance practices for Unaffiliated First Nations water and wastewater systems utilizing pertinent tracking software skills and applying analytical, problem-solving, planning, and scheduling skills to inspect, operate and monitor processes and equipment. Make process control adjustments; resolve operating issues.
- Apply analytical skills to analyze data, monitor local performance against legal requirements, resolve onsite compliance issues and meet the OFNTSC’s HUB targets.
- Share knowledge of environmental compliance including relevant regulatory and legislative acts, codes, policies, guidelines, and procedures related to environmental compliance and the impact on the operation of the water and wastewater treatment systems.
- Provide advice & guidance regarding technical compliance to a variety of internal and external contacts in addition to facilitating in-house training to Unaffiliated First Nations Operations staff.
- Track and support necessary compliance documentation for completion of major maintenance projects.
Evaluative Operational skills for compliance and quality status of First Nations’ water and/or wastewater treatment systems.
- Support procurement processes and procedures
- Apply, interpret, implement and maintain water and wastewater programs based on legislated requirements and various internal operational processes
- Mandatory Class II certification in Water Treatment and/or Class II in Wastewater Treatment
Alternatively, a Professional Engineer registered in the Province of Ontario.
- May consider lesser qualified candidates minimum Class I Water &/or Wastewater license, as specified in O.Reg. 128/04 of the Safe Drinking Water Act and O.Reg. 129/04 of the Ontario Water Resources Act.
- Post-secondary education in an engineering &/or environmental discipline or field of knowledge.
- Effective time management skills with the ability to prioritize and take initiative.
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Extensive awareness and knowledge of water and wastewater treatment operations and processes related to water and wastewater treatment.
- Extensive awareness of the Drinking Water Quality Management Standard (DWQMS).
- Extensive knowledge in environmental compliance and health and safety requirements.
- Excellent knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other relevant regulatory and legislative acts, codes, policies, guidelines, and procedures related to workplace safety.
- Auditing and inspection skills to conduct internal audits, respond to findings, participate in inspections and make recommendations to assigned facilities.
- Excellent written skills with an ability to prepare written technical letters, reports, procedures which may include photos, charts, and graphs.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office database functions and maintenance programs, proven experience in the operation of computers and SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) systems.
- Some out of town traveling required through the province of Ontario.
- Reliable and insured vehicle and Valid driver’s license
- Must maintain or obtain a Class II certificate of competency for Water Treatment as per the regulations of the Ontario Water Resources Act O. Reg. 170/03 within 1 year;
- Must have at least five years of progressive proven full-time maintenance experience;
- Must be available after regular working hours for emergency situations or on-call for a cluster of Unaffiliated First Nation WTP sites throughout the Northern and Southern Ontario regions.
*Priority will be given to First Nations applicants that meet the mandatory requirements.
Come join our growing
• • • • •
Abi wiijii’en ndo
• • • • •
Taskwatia’táhrhahs ne onkwentióhkwa
In efforts to promote the safety, security, and well-being of staff members, communities, and people we come into contact with, the OFNTSC Human Resources department will be giving preference to applicants who have proof of two full doses of a Health Canada-approved COVID-19 vaccination.
If you are passionate about supporting First Nations communities and possess the necessary skills and qualifications, please submit your resume and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the position. Please upload your documents and label as [LastName_FirstName_WW Process Technician].
We thank all applicants, however, only those receiving an interview will be contacted.